Energy Performance Certificates

Friday 24 September 2010

Trick yourself warmer

as the weather takes on a decidedly Autumnal feel, it's natural to think about how to stay warm.

In terms of your house, then insulation, particularly in the loft is the obvious place to start. current best practice os for a minimum of 250mm (10inches) of standard insulation, so check what you've got and top it up. remember to leave an air space at the eaves though, air must be able to circulate or you could create problems of damp or condensation.

Why not insulate yourself, putting on a jumper is infinitely more cost effective than turning on/up the heating, so get that winter wardrobe dusted down.

Finally - trick yourself warm. Psychologically if you can see a naked flame, you WILL feel warmer, so light a candle. It brightens up the decor in a room, and makes you feel better and has more or less no energy impact.

2 comments:

  1. Is it true that a lighted candle will warm you up as much as a lighted wood-burning stove?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested to read your advice on keeping warm. I recently made my own tallow candles by rendering mutton fat (you just boil for a few hours) and recycling garden twine from my allotment as the wicks. The candles smell a bit but are quite effective for heat and light.

    An interesting by product of this process was the rest of the sheep. I managed to partially insulate my loft with the fleece, but am wondering if you have any suggestions on what else I could be doing to reduce my carbon footprint (or should it be hoof print?). FYI I have already 'double-glazed' my windows with old black bin bags - it makes it a bit dark inside, but I am outdoors for most of the day on my allotment.

    ReplyDelete